Screening Ok-12 College students for Signs of COVID-19: Limitations and Concerns
Return-to-College Insurance policies
If the coed/mother or father/caregiver solutions YES to any query in Part 1 however NO to any questions in Part 2, the coed can be excused from faculty in accordance with present faculty sickness administration coverage (e.g., till symptom-free for 24 hours with out fever decreasing drugs).
If the coed or mother or father or caregiver solutions YES to any query in Part 1 and YES to any query in Part 2, the coed needs to be referred for analysis by their healthcare supplier and doable testing. CDC strongly encourages native well being departments to work with native faculty techniques to develop a technique to refer symptomatic people to an applicable healthcare supplier or testing website. State, Tribal, territorial, and native well being officers and/or healthcare suppliers will decide when viral testing for SARS-CoV-2 is suitable. Faculties shouldn’t require testing outcomes as part of return to high school insurance policies. College students who’ve obtained a detrimental check consequence needs to be allowed to return to high school as soon as their signs have in any other case improved in accordance with present faculty sickness administration insurance policies.
College students identified with COVID-19 or who reply YES to any query in Part 1 and YES to any query in Part 2 with out detrimental check outcomes ought to keep house, isolate themselves from others, monitor their well being, and observe instructions from their state or native well being division. College students and their households needs to be suggested that the native well being division could contact the household for contact tracing. If contacted, households ought to notify the contract tracer that the coed attended faculty.
College students identified with COVID-19 or who reply YES to any element of Part 1 AND YES to any element of Part 2 with out detrimental check outcomes needs to be permitted to return to high school needs to be in keeping with present CDC suggestions in “When Can I Be Round Others”. A detrimental check or physician’s be aware ought to not be required for return. Questions concerning return to high school needs to be collectively determined in session with dad and mom or caregivers, faculty personnel, and the coed’s healthcare supplier.
College students who’re excluded from faculty needs to be afforded the chance, as quickly as possible when they’re properly sufficient to take part in classwork, to make up any missed classwork with out penalty so as to cut back psychological or bodily anxieties about missed educational alternatives.
College Isolation Protocols
Some college students could develop signs of infectious sickness whereas in school. Faculties ought to take motion to isolate college students who develop these signs from different college students and workers.
- College students with any of the signs in Part 1 ought to observe their faculty’s present sickness administration coverage to attenuate transmission to others, to optimize studying alternatives, and to permit for these signs to resolve (not less than 24 hours with out fever decreasing drugs or in accordance with present faculty sickness coverage).
- College students who develop any of the signs in Part 1 whereas in school needs to be positioned in an isolation space separate from workers and different college students:
- College students recognized in school who develop any of the signs in Part 1 AND reply YES to any of the questions in Part 2 needs to be positioned in an isolation space separate from workers and different college students (e.g., a nurse’s workplace) after which despatched house or to a healthcare facility if signs point out a necessity for additional analysis:
- If a college must name an ambulance or convey a scholar to the hospital, they need to first alert the healthcare workers that the coed could have been uncovered to somebody with COVID-19.
- After the coed is positioned in an isolation space, faculty workers who work within the isolation space ought to observe CDC’s Concerns for Cleansing and Disinfecting your Constructing or Facility.
- Be aware: In growing plans for putting college students with signs in an isolation space, faculties needs to be aware of applicable safeguards to make sure that college students are remoted in a non-threatening method, inside the line of sight of adults, and for very quick intervals of time.
 Assaker, Rita, Anne-Emmanuelle Colas, Florence Julien-Marsollier, Béatrice Bruneau, Lucile Marsac, Bruno Greff, Nathalie Tri, Charlotte Fait, Christopher Brasher, and Souhayl Dahmani. “Presenting signs of COVID-19 in kids: a meta-analysis of printed research.” BJA: British Journal of Anaesthesia (2020). https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0007091220304086?viapercent3Dihub
 Dong, Yuanyuan, Xi Mo, Yabin Hu, Xin Qi, Fan Jiang, Zhongyi Jiang, and Shilu Tong. “Epidemiology of COVID-19 amongst kids in China.” Pediatrics 145, no. 6 (2020). https://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content material/145/6/e20200702
 Goldmann DA. Epidemiology and Prevention of Pediatric Viral Respiratory Infections in Well being-Care Establishments. Emerg Infect Dis. 2001;7(2):249-253. https://dx.doi.org/10.3201/eid0702.700249
 Roland, Lauren T., Jose G. Gurrola, Patricia A. Loftus, Steven W. Cheung, and Jolie L. Chang. “Odor and style symptom‐based mostly predictive mannequin for COVID‐19 prognosis.” In Worldwide Discussion board of Allergy & Rhinology. 2020.
 Clemency, Brian M., Renoj Varughese, Danielle Ok. Scheafer, Brian Ludwig, Jacob V. Welch, Robert F. McCormack, Changxing Ma, Nan Nan, Theresa Giambra, and Thomas Raab. “Symptom Standards for COVID‐19 Testing of Heath Care Staff.” Educational Emergency Medication 27, no. 6 (2020): 469-474.
 Stokes EK, Zambrano LD, Anderson KN, et al. Coronavirus Illness 2019 Case Surveillance — United States, January 22–Might 30, 2020. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 2020;69:759–765. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.15585/mmwr.mm6924e2external iconexterior icon.